Ischemic Heart Disease sometimes also known as Coronary Artery Disease is a condition where the supply of blood to the heart is affected. The supply of blood is affected either by arteriosclerosis (condition of hardening of arteries) and/or by atherosclerosis (fatty deposits within the arteries). This results in the narrowing of arteries which leads to the less blood and oxygen supply to the heart muscle. Ultimately heart attack can occur and people can die.
Causes/risk factors of Ischemic heart disease
- High Cholesterol level
- Smoking habit
- Diabetes mellitus
- Stress can be the risk factor
- Sometimes genetic factor is also responsible
- Sex- Men are more likely to get than female
Signs and Symptoms
- Shortness of breath
- Heart failure
- Heart attack
Prevention and treatment
- Change in lifestyle such as regular exercise, quit smoking.
- Controlling blood cholesterol
- Eating healthy and balanced diet
- Medication: Beta blockers, organic nitrates, calcium channel blockers etc.
- Texas heart institute
- SRS PHARMACEUTICALS
- American Health Association
- National Institute of Health
- British heart foundation